Making the Most of the Student Central Online Community
Thank you for being a member of CAS Student Central. The online community is meant to be a central location for you to share and download files, view important deadlines, discuss interesting topics with fellow students, and access resources that will help you throughout your career. Here are some of the community features you can take advantage of as a member:
- Discussion board: using the discussion board, as many of you already have, you can share your thoughts, questions, and experiences with other students and CAS members. Any time you need input from the group, feel free to post a new discussion to the board! Create your own thread in the community to discuss important topics with your peers, such as internships, career tips and resources, or study tools.
- Future Focus: Future Focus is the exclusive Student Central blog. Every two weeks, Future Focus will feature a new post on a myriad of topics of interest to actuarial students. Blogs are written by fellow students, academics, professionals, and CAS staff. If you are interested in sharing your views and experiences as a guest blogger, please contact me at CASStudentCentral@casact.org.
- File library: the file library contains important documents and information that may help you throughout your career – including academic and study resources, information about the Casualty Actuarial Society, exam schedules, curriculum guides, and the newsletter archive.
- Calendar: using the calendar, you can stay up to date on upcoming scholarship deadlines, student and actuarial conferences, exam registration dates, and other events such as webinars.
- Exam Study Groups: in addition to the Student Central community, you have access to other CAS-hosted communities, including community study groups for each of the actuarial exams. Post questions and share resources and tips with others preparing to take the same exam.
- Additionally, every month, a new poll will be posted to the community homepage. This poll allows us to learn more about you, and you can see how your experiences compare to other students! After the poll closes, you can review the results in the file library and the newsletter.
If you ever need to change the amount of emails you receive from the community, you can easily manage your email subscription preferences using this link: http://community.casact.org/p/us/to. A document outlining the options for changing your preferences is available in the Student Central library.
Don’t forget to add Student Central to your favorites to stay up-to-date on future interactions! Once logged in, simply click on the “Add to Favorites” button on the right, below the main navigation. Adding the community as a favorite will give you greater control over your notification preferences and allow you to access the community faster.
If you have any questions or ideas, email us at CASStudentCentral@casact.org
Anastasia Fete is the Marketing and Communications Coordinator at the Casualty Actuarial Society.