In any profession, staying current with industry news is critical for career success. In my role as marketing and communications manager at the CAS, I work with insurance industry publications to place CAS members for media interviews. These same publications can be a useful tool for members of CAS Student Central to keep informed about the industry. Subscribing to daily news updates, for example, can help you to identify topics that interest you professionally, remain current with industry trends, and even gain you a leg up as you apply for internships and jobs.
Luckily for you, a multitude of publications serve to keep actuarial professionals informed on a daily basis. While many industry journals require a subscription, below I have highlighted some of the best free resources CAS members have recommended to me.
Here is a list of some “go-to” daily industry reads:
- Property Casualty 360 has a newsletter that offers a daily overview of P&C news.
- Business Insurance offers a daily email of comprehensive trade press news. You can also follow them on Twitter.
- Insurance Journal has several free newsletter options, including Daily Headlines and Insurance Industry Jobs. You can also follow them on Twitter.
- The Insurance Information Institute has a blog that covers current industry topics. You can also follow them on LinkedIn and Twitter.
- The CAS has a number of publications that serve as excellent sources for gathering the latest news in the actuarial field, such as the Actuarial Review and Future Fellows. The CAS LinkedIn Page and Facebook page are also updated frequently with the latest headlines.
- Although they require subscriptions or some have limitations on the number of free articles, many members also read general business coverage in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post.
Do you have other resources for actuarial news? Share them by commenting below.
Kate Niswander is the marketing and communications manager with the Casualty Actuarial Society.