Wondering Where Actuaries Get Their News?
In any profession, staying current with industry news is critical for career success. Members of CAS Student Central have also recognized this need and inquired about which industry media sources are most valuable to follow. In my role as marketing and communications manager at the CAS, I actively seek ways to partner with insurance industry publications. These same publications can be a useful tool for students to keep informed about the insurance industry. Subscribing to daily news updates, for example, can help you to identify topics that interest you professionally, remain current with industry trends, and even gain a leg up as you apply for internships and jobs.
Luckily for you, a multitude of publications serve to keep actuarial professionals informed on a daily basis. While many industry journals require a subscription, I recently spoke with CAS members to determine some of the best free resources that they recommend.
Here is a list of their “go-to” daily industry reads:
- Business Insurance offers a daily email of comprehensive trade press news. You can also follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
- Insurance Journal has several free newsletter options, including Daily Headlines and Insurance Industry Jobs. You can also follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
- Property Casualty 360 has a newsletter that offers a daily overview of P&C news.
- The Insurance Information Institute has a blog called Terms + Conditions. You can also follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
- LinkedIn has a wide array of Actuarial groups (such as the CAS LinkedIn group) that allow you to subscribe to daily updates.
- The Wall Street Journal often offers mainstream coverage of insurance news.
- The CAS has a number of publications that serve as excellent sources for gathering the latest news in the actuarial field, such as the Actuarial Review and Future Fellows. The CAS LinkedIn group and Facebook page are also updated frequently with the latest headlines.
Do you have other resources for actuarial news? Share them by commenting below.
Kate Niswander is the marketing and communications manager with the Casualty Actuarial Society.