The Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) is excited to announce the launch of our inaugural CAS Student Central Summer Program!
We understand that students are dealing with many challenges resulting from the novel coronavirus. Among them, some of you have had planned summer internships disrupted, as companies have decided to shorten or cancel their internship programs due to the challenge of managing interns remotely. Our community of CAS members, who know the CAS as a trusted, valuable resource for actuaries throughout their careers, has stepped up to help fill the void. Our online program, designed by practicing actuaries, will support students’ career growth by providing technical and soft skill development, as well as mentorships and networking opportunities.
Over the course of the eight-week program participants will:
- Complete weekly modules that focus on a variety of property and casualty actuarial topics including pricing, reserving, data visualization and predictive modeling.
- Connect with mentors for weekly discussions as students advance through the program.
- Build important soft skills, such as presentation skills, resume/interview prep, professional courtesies and more!
- Work on teams with other students on a case competition addressing a real-life actuarial problem.
- Present their final projects to a panel of practicing actuaries.
Students will spend approximately 10 hours a week participating in the program and are expected to attend the program in its eight-week entirety. The program will run from Monday, June 15th – Friday, August 7th.
Students who complete the program will be issued a certificate by the CAS documenting their accomplishment.
Interested in participating? Please fill out the application form by June 1st. All university students are welcome to apply, however priority admittance will be given to those students who have had their internships cancelled, as space is limited. Applicants will be notified no later than June 8th regarding their admission status.
Questions? Please email Tamar Gertner, Director of Engagement and Margaret Kerr, Marketing and Communications Coordinator at CASstudentcentral@casact.org.