With its highest attendance in 45 years, Gamma Iota Sigma (GIS) presented its 44th Annual International Conference, October 8-10, 2015 in Chicago, Illinois. Bringing together more than 575 students and advisors from 53 colleges and universities throughout North America, along with over 250 industry representatives, the conference celebrated the 50th Anniversary of GIS with support from the Casualty Actuarial Society and its members.
The conference spanned three days and was filled with educational programming and networking opportunities. Highlights included:
- The Annual Awards Dinner and Keynote Address by Michael Klein, FCAS, Executive Vice President and President of Personal Insurance for Travelers.
- An opening general session featuring a C-Suite Panel sharing their career advice, including Camille Minogue, FCAS, former Chief Actuary for Insurance Corporation of British Columbia and a member of the CAS Board of Directors.
- Nearly 30 hot-topic educational sessions, including two interactive sessions sponsored by the CAS: Excel for Actuaries, presented by Derek Wong, FCAS, of CNA Insurance Companies, and Basic Ratemaking, presented by Wasim Chowdhury, FCAS, Allison Salisbury, and Kelli Chupp of Allstate.
- Presentations by CAS Staff members Mike Boa and Tamar Gertner to university faculty and industry partners at the Faculty Roundtable and the Association Partners Roundtable.
- A career fair with 65 organizations represented, including a CAS booth staffed by volunteers, including Wes Griffiths, FCAS of Travelers, and a member of the CAS Board of Directors and GIS Board of Trustees.
During the GIS Board of Trustees meeting held in conjunction with the conference, the Board unanimously approved the reappointment of Mike Boa, CAS Chief Communications Officer, to the Board for a second three-year term. Boa’s first term on the Board ran from 2012-2015.
The GIS Annual International Conference is the premier event for the industry to engage the next generation of industry professionals. At the same time, it is the most comprehensive event for student attendees to develop professionally and expand on their industry acumen. Sponsorship of the conference is Gamma Iota Sigma’s primary source of funding to support programming delivered throughout the academic year.
As a proud Sustaining Partner of GIS and Gold Sponsor of the Annual Conference, the CAS congratulates the organization on its 50th Anniversary, and commends the conference organizers on a highly successful 2015 conference!
About the Casualty Actuarial Society
The Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) is a leading international organization for professional education and credentialing, with nearly 7,000 members. Professionals educated by the CAS empower business and government to make well-informed strategic, financial and operational decisions on the potential financial impact of risk and uncertainty. Of the 3,400 members of the CAS student membership program, CAS Student Central, 1,800 are members of Gamma Iota Sigma.
About Gamma Iota Sigma
Incorporated in 1965, Gamma Iota Sigma (GIS) promotes, encourages, and sustains student interest in insurance, risk management, and actuarial science as professions; encourages the high moral and scholastic attainments of its members; and facilitates interaction of educational institutions and industry. GIS has an annual membership of over 2,500 students at 65 colleges and universities throughout North America and an alumni network of more than 20,000 individuals. For more information, contact GIS Headquarters at (484) 991-4471 or visit www.GammaIotaSigma.org.