Midwest Actuarial Student Conference
October 3, 2015
8:30am - 4:15pm
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
930 N. University Avenue (Chemistry Building)
This one-day conference is intended for college students who are currently studying or interested in pursuing actuarial science. The program will include several presentations of interest to actuarial science students, with a specific focus on future actuarial job opportunities and career paths. There will also be opportunities to network with students from other colleges and universities. The conference will be offered at no cost. Breakfast and lunch will be included.
- Session 1: SOA/CAS Joint Session - Where are the Jobs? - Representatives from the Society of Actuaries (SOA) and the Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) will be presenting details from the recent Supply and Demand Study on The Actuarial Talent conducted by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
- Session 2: The Interview Process - This session will educate students on the interview process from the time resume is submitted to the time they start on the job. It will also address the issue of what to expect and prepare for at each step in the process.
- Session 3: Industry Opportunities - Industry experts (P&C, Life Insurance, Health Insurance, Retirement Income Benefits) will educate the students about actuarial opportunities within different fields.
- Session 4: Communication Workshop
- Session 5: Concurrent Sessions
International Students + Graduate School - This session will be targeted towards international students and include talks on visas, communication skills and prospective education routes after graduation.
Non-Traditional Actuarial Jobs - This session will invite speakers from non-traditional actuarial jobs to share their experiences. It will help diversify students’ views on actuarial profession.
Case Study - This session will allow participants to give presentations on the pre-conference materials. Moderated by professors, this will be a good opportunity for participants to be actively engaged in the conference.
Recent Exam Changes at SOA/CAS
- Session 6: Actuarial Club Best Practices – This will be an opportunity for all of the Actuarial Club Presidents/Representatives from various Midwest Schools to meet and share best practices.
Before the Conference – Meet the Sponsors Event
October 2, 2015
6:00pm – 8:00pm
This informal dinner will provide a great opportunity for the students to meet our event sponsors (including several employers) in an informal setting. This event will include an informal dinner for all the attendees at no cost to the participants. Dress code will be business casual.