The CAS Difference

Professionals who earn our CAS credentials and become CAS members reflect “the best of the best” in our profession. And employers value that.

Casualty Actuarial Society Core Values

CAS Core Values

A leader in the field, CAS promotes a culture of collaboration, whether you are a university freshman navigating academics and career options or a seasoned veteran actuary. Five core values define CAS:

  • Collaboration – We value the opportunities to work with other organizations to address problems related to property and casualty, and similar risks. We value the relationships and the knowledge we gain through cooperative efforts with geographically and professionally diverse teams.
  • Community – We value the membership community and the relationships formed through professional and volunteer activities. Open discussion and debate advances our body of knowledge. Working together improves and promotes our practices, profession, and organization. Our community is built on mutual respect and professionalism.
  • Continual Improvement – We are committed to staying current on the latest developments in actuarial science, to advance the body of actuarial science research, and to seek solutions to actuarial issues that go beyond the obvious explanations.
  • Professionalism and Integrity – We adhere to the highest professional and ethical standards of education, qualification, and practice and abide by a strong professional code of conduct.
  • Practicality – We advance the practice of actuarial science through the application of actuarial methods and research in creative, practical ways. Cognitive and analytical skills help shape creative, practical solutions to a wide range of complex business problems.

Member Satisfaction

The CAS member survey conducted every five years consistently shows very high satisfaction rates with the organization as a whole, as well as with its publications, professional education programs, and our staff. CAS members cite the exams, continuing education, research and development, and meetings as being our greatest strengths.

Membership Growth

Starting with 97 members 100 years ago, CAS today has more than 6,000 members and is experiencing record growth, with more property and casualty actuaries earning their credentials and joining us every year. About 70% are Fellows of CAS (FCAS) and the remaining 30% are Associates of CAS (ACAS).

Volunteerism

Going above and beyond is a common characteristic among CAS members. Our members are passionate about the actuarial profession and give back in ways that help our professional community as a whole. For nearly 15 years, for example, our volunteer network of University Liaisons have dedicated their time to reaching out to faculty and students to share their stories about the CAS and a career as a property and casualty actuary.